Beauty is found in the genuine.

Beauty is found in the genuine.


follow by email text

would you like to receive my blog's updates by email? just submit your email address below!

Tuesday, May 7, 2013

That explains everything.


Once, several years ago, when I was just starting out my writing career, I was asked to write my own contributor’s note for an anthology I was part of. I wrote: “I am the only daughter in a family of six sons. That explains everything.”

Those are the opening sentences of Sandra Cisneros' Only Daughter, a piece we read yesterday in class.  She goes on to highlight the dynamics of her childhood Mexican-American household, where she was loved and cherished but not a son.  She was the only daughter, and only a daughter.  Today we did a simple follow-up worksheet that, hopefully, required more thinking than remembering, if you know what I mean.

Question number seven asked what one, or two, sentences, "explain everything."  Here are a few responses I read.




I am the social hermit in an outgoing family.  That explains everything.  

I am an only child and I’m adopted.  That explains everything.  

Honestly, I’m trying to figure this out.  God has a plan.  Everything will pan out.  That explains everything.  

I am a middle child in a broken and pieced together home.  That explains everything.  

I am the eldest child in a broken family.  That explains everything.  

I am not like everyone else; I see and feel and think things differently.  This is the answer to everything.  I have always felt like I wasn't like everyone else.  That explains everything.  

I am the youngest in a family of three.  The youngest’s opinion isn't always taken into account.  That explains everything.  

I am the second child of four, but talent went to the other three.  That explains everything.  

I am the second oldest son, underneath a drug addict brother.  I have to be who he wasn't.  That explains everything.  

I am one Smith amongst two Johnson daughters, because I don’t live with either of my biological parents.  That explains everything.  

I am who I am because of me.  My mom and dad thought drugs were more important than me.  My sisters soon followed suit.  But I couldn’t.  That explains everything.






Geersh I love my babies.  Even if I'm stress eating because of them.  I simultaneously hate and appreciate the pain they are going through--the pain they share with me, and all the everything-and-so-much they hide.  I hate it because there's a part of me that thinks they don't deserve it.  I appreciate it because I know there is an element of hardness that is essential to navigating adulthood, and hardness comes via experience.  I hate it because I am scared of just how hard they might become.  I appreciate it because I know they will be able to love others through the same struggles.  And so closes a Tuesday.  Caught somewhere between beauty and pain and exhaustion and the deep-down feeling that this job still matters.

Also, for once, I hope that the papers I picked up, incomplete off the floor, were tossed there due to laziness, rather than avoidance.

xoxo Bec

No comments:

Post a Comment