Beauty is found in the genuine.

Beauty is found in the genuine.


follow by email text

would you like to receive my blog's updates by email? just submit your email address below!

Thursday, July 7, 2011

Baca Family


Several months ago when I ran my Facebook contest, the beautiful Mrs. Kaara Baca came away with one of the free photo-dates I offered!  I was really excited, especially since we’d worked together before and I knew that her family was easy going and beautiful, plus I knew my skillz had jumped up a level or two since I’d seen them last.  Win-win!  

Kaara worked long and hard on figuring out exactly what location they’d use for their shoot, and I have to say, she pulled out a huge win.  We headed out to West Burns Run on Lake Texoma (Oklahoma side, for those who are curious) and really enjoyed a fabulous time on the beach as the sun went down (despite me having an extraordinarily hard time finding the Baca family…but I digress.  :).  The light was perfect, the water was beautiful, and I think we got the outcome we were looking for.

Now—if you will—humor me for a little bit.  See that sweet little thing hanging out there with her parents?  That’s Emily.  She’s just a little nugget.  And she’s as sweet as can be.  And she’s full of energy and curiosity and spunk and funny faces.  Like most year-and-a-half kiddos.  Let me tell you, her parents did a fabulous (not sure why I’ve twice picked that word to italicize) job with her in his photo-environment.  Here are a few things I noticed that perhaps we can all learn from:

1.      Allow her to play.  No kid wants to be held captive on a beach, at a playground, or pretty much anywhere at all!  If you want a smile, you have to let them be happy.

2.      Play with him.  I have to have all of you together to get photos…so you may as well join in the fun.  Plus, your kids can tell when you’re uncomfortable and/or stressed.  We all know that.  Show them how much FUN photo-taking is!

3.      Set her up for success.  You know what environments and stimulants help your kids thrive.  Can she not sit still at home?  Don’t expect her to do it for me.  Does she love riding on Dad’s shoulders?  Playing with Mom’s chapstick?  Favorite backpack or stuffed animal?  Done.  Large crowds freak her out?  Tell me no when I suggest going to the fair!  Easy peasy.

4.      Be flexible.  Have twelveteen outfits to change into?  Cool!  May or may not happen.  Really really want to have a photo taken of his sweet face staring straight into the camera with a perfect-school-photo smile?  Awesome!  He may or may not be up for it.  Just stay flexible and have fun, and I’ll do the same, and everything will work out.

5.      Know her limits.  Because I don’t.  Tell me when it’s time to stop, and if I’m dying for just one more shot, I’ll ask for it.  You can tell me no.  You’re the parent. :)

Really and truly, all of the families I’ve been blessed enough to work with recently have unknowingly contributed their wisdom to this list (which I’m sure will continue to grow and change).  Thank you everyone!  Now we’re all smarter!

And now FINALLY.  Thank you for being patient.  I present…the Baca family.








Can you see the little tiny bump on this one?  


They find out today what flavor that bump is!!  Boy or girl, boy or girl?!










Thanks, Baca's!  I had a great time!!  Can't wait to find out more about the bun in the oven.  :)

xoxo Bec

1 comment:

  1. i am so in love with all of your work. your talent and eye for beauty has grown so much since those first days of tinkering with the camera. can't wait to see what you come up with next. xoxo

    ReplyDelete